In My Shoes. The Back Office @ PaperCut
At PaperCut we’re very proud of our employees, a tight-knit collection of like-minded people with a collective goal to create great software and drink good coffee.
As a company built on software development, you can imagine we have some high performing teams across the globe. The PaperCut “back office” includes admin, finance and operations and is one part of our international team that keeps the cogs turning.
People do ask “why would anyone want to be an Operations Manager?”
The answer is simple. No two days are ever the same and as expectations and priorities shift and change, the team and I simply adapt.
Let’s take a walk In My Shoes, here’s some of my day to day:
- Managing external legal and accounts consultants
- Working with our channel partners on challenges within their regions, including technical, development and business needs
- Understanding workplace and business laws throughout our global marketplace
- Creating new policies and procedures to ensure security and maintaining a company culture that shares the core values started by our founders
- Enabling the greater team, to ensure everyone can work to the best of their abilities
- Interviewing talent for roles within PaperCut and onboarding new members
- Making sure that the PaperCut cafe ‘/dev/coffee’ is always stocked with enough coffee beans to rival the GDP of a small country
Admin, Finance and Ops works hard behind the scenes to get through gruelling problems while having a great time and making the best out of every situation. Many managers will say that they strive to enable their team but the truth is that this team enables the company as a whole.
Let’s jump into their shoes…
If you need anything PaperCut, Ann has it no more than arms length away. She has been the key organizational force in PaperCut for years, in the very beginning she WAS the PaperCut finance and admin team. She is largely responsible for paving the way for PaperCut to grow exponentially.
Whether Siobhan is tackling invoices, negotiating with bank managers or greeting you at PaperCut HQ she remains cool, calm and collected.
Desha/Office Administrator USA
The Joan of Arc of the US office. She ensures the Support and Channel guys in the Portland office are in line and everything runs smoothly.
Is everything from accountant to teacher. Andara joined us late 2013 and has taken on the accounts and finance reporting head on. The hardest part of her job is to impart finance wisdom to me.
Simply known as the “machine”. From the moment she arrives to the time she departs she doesn’t lift her head. There are rumors that she had lunch one day but this was disregarded due to lack of evidence. Silvina is also fluent in three languages, which is awesome.
Tim B/Programme Manager:
The greatest task juggler of all time, at last count he had over 50 projects happening at one time, each with set actions and outcomes trickling into the development and marketing teams.
Is a key part of the team bringing his project management skills to the front. Alec assists in getting large projects over the line whatever department they belong to.
Here’s a shoutout to the entire Ops team for their excellent work, keep it up…and let me know whose shoes you would like to jump into?
This entry was posted in Blogroll, General and tagged culture, people. Bookmark the permalink.